Course selection

hello , i wanted to join bs in medical science and engineering iit madras . If i dont get admission there , what are the other courses similar to it through which i can design artificial organs and cardiac devices or make apps by which the healthcare system becomes more affordable or something related to making the diagnosis of diseases easier through AI.I am just so passionate about medtech sector. Your help would be highly appreciated . also if i can get the of seniors and faculty of this department or biotech department.

Hello Disha,

Admission to the BS in Medical Science and Engineering program at IIT Madras is through the IISER Aptitude Test (IAT). You can read more about the department here.

You can consider the BS in Biological Science and B.Tech. in Biological Engineering offered by the Department of Biotechnology. They offer many elective courses such as Tissue Engineering, Computer Simulation of Biomolecular Systems, Biomaterials Engineering, and Human Physiology. Here are some articles that you might find helpful:

You could also pursue an Interdisciplinary Dual Degree in Biomedical Engineering. You can read about it here.

The Applied Mechanics and Biomedical Engineering department offers elective courses such as Biomedical Instrumentation, Haptics in Biomedical Engineering, Biofluid Mechanics, Operating Theater Instrumentation and Surgical Technology, and Biomedical Sensors and Measurements.

The Engineering Design department also offers elective courses like Human Anatomy, Physiology & Biomechanics, Biomimetic Design, Design of Biophotonics Devices, and Design of Medical Imaging Systems.

Many professors in Engineering Design, Applied Mechanics and Biomedical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering are doing research in Biomedical Engineering.

Hope that helps!